QuickBooks 3140 Transaction Sales Tax is currently disabled by preferences.
If you receive the following message when trying to create a sales order / sales receipt in QB, then you have sales tax disabled in your company settings:
3140: There is an invalid reference to QuickBooks ItemSalesTax “No Sales Tax – Website” in the SalesReceipt. QuickBooks error message: Transaction Sales Tax is currently disabled by preferences
To correct this message, you’ll need to enable sales tax at the company level by following these steps.
- Open QuickBooks with the correct company file
- Click the Edit menu then Preferences
- From the left vertical tool bar, select Sales Tax
- Click the Company Preferences tab
- Select Yes in the ‘Do you charge sales tax’ field. (This is a temporary change)
- Make sure there is a ‘Most common sales tax’ entry
- Click OK.
- Uncheck both boxes in the ‘Update Sales Tax’ dialog box then click OK.
- You may need to click OK to a confirmation about closing windows.